09 January 2007

three sentence bookish delight

incurable-hippie tagged me for a book meme (thanks, pippa. I'm slow but I usually catch up, eventually).


1. Get the nearest book in your reach and turn to page 123.

check.

2. Go to the fifth sentence of that page.

Ooh, this should be a delightful and confusingly short lesson on The Humiliation of Akka (and in case you find yourself cleaving to the story beyond the three-sentence snippet, you can find it in The Illustrated Anthology of World Myth and Storytelling).

3. Copy the next three sentences, then tag three people.

"But Gilgamesh was not intimidated. He told Enkidu, who again appears in this tale as his right hand man, to gather weapons for a show of strength that would so startle Akka 'that his wits would become confused'. Gilgamesh also sent his bodyguard Birhurture to the camp of the enemy king."

I am not prepared to tag three people who may or may not want to participate in a meme, and may or may not want to do my bidding. Tell you what, though... if you happen to read this and feel like playing along, let me know!

And as a complete aside, now I feel the need to begin the Humiliation of Akka story from the beginning to its natural end (yipes, I flipped the book page only to see 'The monster meets a violent end'). mmmm... Maybe what I'm feeling isn't such a strong need to read the gory end of the story as it is a lighthearted desire to get an overview of the who that did gasp to that there fella.

No comments:

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating