20 June 2007

Love Note

My shoulders and laughter
are sexy to you
Your eyes and your sprawled abandon
turn me on

Though imprecise with recipe card directions,
I measure my words
Skim superfluous off the top
Using the flat side of my blade.

I choose, arrange,
smith honesty with mouth feel

You don't even know
you are as natural to me as breath.

I ask how was your day dear,
you say okay.

I know from the way you lean into
Oh
and I know from the way you resist
Kay

That this expression wasn't what you had hoped for yourself
as the alarm chewed through the dense violet blue dawn.
I know this, and you, without the burden of awareness.

I am neither this nor that.
I am and.
You are however.
And yet you are as natural to me as breath.

You cannot see the profound lunacy
in the contrast of white upon black,
of linear straining against
this fluid dance we perform
with its precise footsteps falling
exactly, imprecisely, as they do.

My tongue threads remaining liquid through bitter grounds
as I languidly examine the particles
of the unspoken
of us
of breath.

I wish to ask,
Why do we clench?
Why the catch,
the grip,
the pause?


You aren't aware
you count on me.
Less for timeliness
less for keeping track of the important bill -
wholly for recognizing the subtle shift
within your choked happy throat
when you reply
Okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. i love the poem.

mabeth

mcbeth said...

Thanks, MaBee.

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating