16 May 2007

'bye, sweet boy


'bye, sweet boy, originally uploaded by McBeth.


I just got home from the vet.

I am covered in stress-induced shedded hair from Artie.
He is not here with me.

He didn't come home.

He passed away being cuddled and whispered lovingly to which, I suppose, is something I gave (and will continue giving) absolutely and without reservation, perhaps with some small hope that the gesture will come back to me one day.

I know I did a responsible hard thing but I guess I'm surprised again at the ferocity of grief.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Artie, you were kinder than necessary to overeager toddlers. A gentleman to the end.

May the food be soft, the box be clean, and the fingers always be scratching the soft spot.

mcbeth said...

Good thing the tissues are handy ... you have that kind of effect (in a good way, always a good way).

This morning my weeping started while I swept the kitchen floor without sweeping him out of the way once. That's just not right.

J. and I agreed this morning that mornings are going to be especially difficult to get used to no Artemis. From the time our eyes opened first thing in the morning he always on our bodies (heads included, lol) to rouse us. Once we were up he'd lead the parade down the stairs into the kitchen (oooh soft food! soft food!) and he was constantly underfoot, eager to get to help however he could.

I threw out the bag of sub-q IV fluids this morning too. It landed on top of a cooshy pile of used snotted up cried on tissues. Seemed appropriate.

Anonymous said...

hey,
My heart is so sad imagining what it's like 'over there' without him. ...I was going to ask you about seeing a picture of him and here it is! He's gorgeous. We grieve so deeply for our pets because they are always there 'fur' us. Thinking of you all.

beckie said...

I'm so sad for you loss, my friend. Grief is quite ferocious. It is not nimble in any way.

I hope that your grief is easing some.

I still miss my baby Turner.

beckie

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating