26 June 2006

call me McXuanzong


There's no particular reason the photo there is accompanying this; I simply shot it and liked it.

Maybe it's the perspective of a wedding that few of us pay attention to any more (unless 'we' are under the age of five)? Do you pay attention to what you are looking at in an active way, taking in clues from the scene to put together an apt explanation for what might be happening? Cool, me too. At least I try to fill in the missing bits with sensible details.

So who needs the heads and faces (if 'we' are five years olds attending a wedding) when the pretty golden shoes, the lacey gold thread on your aunt's pink linen dress and the strange habit of throwing flower petals onto a white runner are the details you remember of this event when you return to reflect upon it in 25 years?

-----

I took a Discovery Channel quiz this morning; again - with no real purpose in mind. I sweat through a very tight tiebreaker (all metaphorical, I assure you. My eyes weren't even fully open yet. The morning coffee ritual, you understand...) which revealed that if I was to be suddenly imposed as Empress of Everything it is most likely the latest incarnation of Tang Xuanzong that I would most resemble.

But see, I have a theory about what I'd want to be Empress OF. Being shot into a position by no other reason than people just stroking their chins and suddenly coming to some enlightened decision could have disturbing and far-reaching consequences not only for me, but for all those poor fools who would say 'You are our next Empress, McBeth. It's true! We read it in our morning tea leaves which are NEVER known to fail'.

Power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely. There are our two givens, right? So if I can convince the sages to let me be the Empress of My Own Self (EMOS, for short) I would be ruling over a kingdom of ...baa-daa-bing... one. The damage I would probably inflict no matter if it was purposeful or due to neglect would be mitigated somewhat by the citizenry stats in my kingdom.

Sure, if they're willing to just let me sit there looking like the Empress of Very Much More Than She Really IS, I'd willingly fill in and hold the spot until the tea leaves revealed a slight miscalculation which would lead to a new Empress being installed. But only as long as we all understand I don't want to rule everyone else - not really, I just want to be the Queen of Me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case I haven't made it perfectly clear...

I Love You

Thank you for being who you are,
and for saying so clearly those thoughts that I never could...

mcbeth said...

Hot diggedy dog, why doncha just go and take me even more completely by wordless surprise?

(Let's pause here for a jiffy while I ponder how something that is complete could be even MORE complete.)

Okay, nevermind that whole 'even more completely' part which, upon reflection, makes very little logical sense. But yumpin yeehosephats, count your chickens before I find words to fill the wordless suprise part because that there was the truth. I swear it.

What was (is?) it that you didn't think you could say?

Anonymous said...

How I think that EVERYONE should be Queen (no Kings!) of themselves, understanding that having power over ANYONE other than oneself will corrupt, and that While Queen, you must think in the best interests of your citizenry, which means you may not just have everything you may want. You get the positive strokes of being Queen, but recognize your own limitations and acknowledge mistakes.

And by the way, I see you more as a Goddess than an Empress.

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating