02 January 2006

Welcome back, Reub. We missed you so.


During a local newscast this evening, the tv crew was interviewing local Badger fans who have been celebrating along with the UW-Madison Badger football team in Orlando, Florida at whatever Bowl game they played today. (bad fan, baaad baaaad fan. I have slapped my hand just now for those gentle readers who might be locals and reading my complete disinterest in the Badger team for the first time. I try, I really do.
I just can't get excited about many sporting events.)

The thing that grabbed my attention was the super-excited woman in her ohh, fifties or sixties maybe. She appeared to be a really happy gal, smiling broadly and donning her reddest of Bucky badger-red gear, who described the scene as "boo-ee-yant".

In what universe does the word boo-yant exist?
I hadn't been watching the broadcast; I'd been listening though, and the fact that I could not identify the word she was using got my attention. So I turned around and started to play the 'name that...' game. Given the situation and the excitement and what I knew of the Badger's winnings, I suspected that the well-intentioned woman must have meant "boy-ant".

Buoyant.

No wonder we have a confused language and an even more confused population...
if you see a little floating bobbing bit of a thing out there in a body of water to mark a channel, well of course I'd understand someone referring to THAT thing as a boo-eee.

But to mark an excited scene as boo-ee-ant? I dunn'thin'so.

Next lesson: Kwik-E-Marts and why our children are slow.

No comments:

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating