16 June 2005

a spade and a hoe


McBeth.

I accidentally picked a weed yesterday.

Or maybe my mind knows when I myself need a good weeding and it just sends me out to find one outstandingly tall misdirected and unwelcome plant ready for the picking.

When I weed, all else in inconsequential. I couldn't give a flying fig whose car is coming up the street or whose has just left; I don't hear the sirens and ambulances; the highway noise floats far far away. The background chatter volume is reduced by three clicks in my head. My fingers become outrageously sensitive, feeling for the best direction of tug to pull the entire plant, full roots and all, from the earth.


Again, today, both the internal and external weather look to be perfect for a long quiet uprooting time.

No comments:

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating