17 June 2005

feather flexing


McBeth.

While having my morning coffee and cigarette outside on the front step this morning I heard the chuttered squalling and feather ruffling of a baby bird waiting impatiently to be fed.

To my great surprise it was not a tiny sparrow being fed by the sparrow parent, but rather, a -- starling? Hmm, no it doesn't look at all like a starling but I'm honestly not sure just yet what kind of bird the mammoth-looking baby is (in comparison to the wee sparrow). It was a giganto baby, that's what it was. The rare Giganto bird, ahhhhyessss.

They stayed just long enough for me to grab the AA batteries that had been recharging overnight and get the camera set up for a couple of shots.

(If you can I.D. the baby let me know and I'll add it in here.)

Birds will flex adoptive muscles to care for another's young... who knew?!

No comments:

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating