24 October 2004

red on red (or: der no der, rorrim ni gnidear fi)


McBeth.

The signs are there and clear: cuddling creatures boring their way under the covers during sleeptime, poking wet noses toward one extra layer of warmth. Ladybeetles layering themselves optimistically on building siding (and doors, and windows, and ...) with the slim to nil chance that SHE will be the one who makes it inside for the cold months. More children wearing outwear not for fashions' sake but for actual wind-breaking capabilities. My green fuzzy cap has come out of its biannual retirement.

People, perhaps unwittingly, have a sense of the impending big sleep coming upon us. Mattresses and box springs by the score are making their way to dumpsters and curbsides all over the city. I can only assume that newer and better are replacing them. Comfortable hibernation materials are a necessity of winter, yes.

After a day of sunshine such as was given us today, I feel regret that winter is breathing down our collective necks. I'm not ready. I don't want it! I want at least five months more of crunching leaves and the smell of burn piles (perimeter of the city only, please. I'm a fantasizer but I can obey that stupid law), University football games and the strange fruitbasket upset that attends ... no, I'm not just quite ready for winter.

No comments:

Blog Archive

statistics are fascinating